Reading is fun with Pingu’s English. Here at Storytime with Pingu’s English we will post regular stories here, as well as on our Facebook page for you and child’s enjoyment. If you can, try and read a book every day with your child. Try and encourage them to repeat the story you have just read from memory to check their understanding.
The Tiger who came to tea by Judith Kerr
This Storytime with Pingu’s English is the wonderful The Tiger who came to tea by Judith Kerr and read by Rebecca Gilligan, Head of Curriculum and Content from Pingu’s English. We hope you enjoy it!
Once you have finished reading it, there’s a few activities below you can try at home:-
- You can make a tiger mask here, or use face paints to make your own tiger at home.
- You could make your own junk modelling tiger from things you have at home.
- Then why not have your child set up your own tea party with your new home-made tiger? Your child could lay out the table. They could make the party invites.
- You could also get your child to draw a poster with all the things they remember from the story. And for older children label them with the words Sophie, water, milk and buns.
- Why not get your child to draw a story map of what happened with Sophie and the visit from the tiger? An example of a story map can be seen below in the third picture. It is just a visual way to check their understanding of the story. Draw a wiggly line with a beginning, a middle and an end. Ask them to draw the key things that happened in the story. For older children they can then label the key items they have drawn.
- Why not create a shopping list which shows all the things that Sophie’s family will have to buy to replace the things that were eaten for tea?
- There are also extra activities created by the publishers of The Tiger who Came to Tea for you to download here
The Mixed Up Chameleon by Eric Carle
For more ideas with supporting your child with their reading please read our article here. Please also read our blog which offers further top tips for supporting your child’s reading at home.
The Selfish Crocodile by Faustin Charles and Michael Terry
Another wonderful story from Storytime with Pingu’s English
I Don’t Want a Cool Cat – Emma Dodd
I Am Too Absolutely Small for School – Lauren Child
Max the Brave – Ed Vere – coming soon